Below are the top ten beauty tips I regularly share with my patients. When it comes to skin care, I approach the whole person. Therefore, you’ll find the recommendations below to be all encompassing. Healthy skin really does begin on the inside out.
1. Wear sunscreen every day – for regular daily wear, a moisturizer with a broad-spectrum sunscreen. I typically recommend an SPF 30 or greater. Some of my favorites are Elta MD UV Clear SPF 46, Neocutis Journee Bio-restorative Day Cream SPF 30, and First Aid Beauty 5 in 1 Face Cream SPF 30. The latter two are great multi-taskers since they contain antioxidants and other antiaging ingredients.
2. Always remove your makeup before going to bed.
3. Use gentle cleansers, such as Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash, CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser and Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser, and do not rub vigorously when washing. To cleanse the skin more thoroughly, add a Clarisonic cleansing brush, which can even improve skin texture and tone. Avoid harsh products.
4. Gently exfoliate once a week.
5. Add products containing antioxidants for antiaging benefits, such as SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic and a prescription or over-the-counter retinoic acid (RoC and Neutrogena both have great retinol creams).
6. Use a hyaluronic acid product for increased hydration. One of my favorites is Neocutis’ HYALIS Refining Serum.
7. If your skin tends to be sensitive, look for products with soothing ingredients such as Aveeno’s Ultra-Calming line (contains feverfew) and Eucerin Redness Relief line (contains Licochalcone a licorice-root extract), as well as skin barrier-repairing ingredients, such as niacinamide, found in CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion (AM and PM).
8. Don’t forget to protect that delicate skin around your eyes
9. Make sure to get plenty of rest.
10. Eat a well-balanced diet, limit alcohol consumption and quit smoking.
By Sejal Shah, MD
July 4, 2018